The Kashmir Tragedy: This blog reflects the pain, sorrow and agony of the thousands of Kashmiri fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters, who have lost their loved ones. These are the stories of married women, who have lost their husbands and want answer to one question - Are they widows?

Sunday, April 29, 2007

IRSHAD WAS 15 WHEN HE DISAPPEARED, COLLECTING FIREWOOD

Mir Ehsan

Nine years after Irshad Ahmad Parray disappeared, his family filed a missing report with Sheeri police. Eight more years later, there is still no sign of Irshad.



He was last seen going into a forest near his village to collect firewood. Irshad was then 15 years old. On November 11, 1999, the family lodged an FIR. "We have failed to trace him," says Irshad's father Habib Parray.

"The mysterious disappearance left our entire family shocked," says Habib who has not lost hope. "Why only me, my entire family has the firm belief that he (Irshad) will return," says Habib.

Living in north Kashmir 's remote Kitchama village, Habib and his wife Saja Begum have not forgotten the day Irshad went missing. "It was a hot summer day of 1990 when my son went to collect wood from a nearby forest. He was barely 15," says Habib, who works in the fields of other villagers.

The family suspects both militants and security forces for the disappearance because the area where Irshad went missing had a huge presence of army and militants. "The forest where my son disappeared was dense. Even after 17 years of the incident, we can't say who was responsible for his disappearance."

Habib says his son was innocent. "At 15, my son could have annoyed neither the army nor militants."

The family and villagers searched for his him in the jungles but failed to trace him. After the search, the family contacted police and all nearby army camps. "Initially, I thought my son may have been arrested by troops. But, officials told us the day my son disappeared no patrol was in the area or in the forests."

Saja Begum desires to see her son before she dies. "Before I die, my only wish is to see my son." "Sometimes I feel he will never return. But I keep hopes alive," she adds. When he disappeared, he was a boy. "Now he would be a man," she says.

No comments: